As is the case each and every year, S6 students suggested various worthwhile causes to champion for the forthcoming session. However, after listening to submissions, a vote was taken and the clear winner was Alzheimer Scotland.
Alzheimer Scotland is the leading dementia organisation in Scotland. It campaigns for the rights of people with dementia and their families and provide an extensive range of innovative and personalised support services for people with dementia and their carers. It offers personalised community activities, information and advice at every stage of the dementia journey.
Alzheimer Scotland has a network of regional branches, one of which is based right here in Ayr. Branches are run by volunteers. They work alongside local services to offer local contact and support to anyone affected by dementia. Branch activities may include:
- Raising public awareness of dementia
- Providing information
- Campaigning to improve local services and resources
- Generating local newsletters
- Providing opportunities for people to comment on their needs and on the services required to meet them.
- Support groups for carers and/or people with dementia
- Creating social opportunities for people with dementia and carers
How can the Wellington School community help?
With your help, Alzheimer Scotland aims to make sure nobody faces dementia alone. The generous donations Alzheimer Scotland receives enable it to provide:
- A network of Dementia Advisors across Scotland
- Dementia Nurses in most health boards in Scotland
- A 24-hour Freephone Dementia Helpline (0808 808 3000)
- Alzheimer Scotland’s Dementia Research Centre
The Sixth Year is fully committed to raising as much money as possible for this most worthy of causes and there are, already, several activities in planning phase. However, fundraising targets can only be achieved with the ongoing support of all pupils, staff, parents and friends of the school.
Activities for this Term include:
- Cake and Candy stalls
- Non uniform days
- House-organised charity days packed with lots of fun activities
- Christmas Craft Fair
Please help us support this fundraising appeal. Wellington School has a proud history of charitable giving and we are sure that this year will be no different. Follow us on our Just Giving page and on Facebook for regular updates on the latest charity events and activities taking place in and around the school.
Mitchell Wyllie, Head Boy and Emma Wishart, Head Girl.