An update on 2016/17 university offers and the support Wellington provides for pupils embarking on the next step.

After having spent many hours poring over university prospectuses and carefully writing personal statements for their UCAS applications, S6 pupils across the country are now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel – university offers. So far, a number of pupils at Wellington have received unconditional and conditional offers and we praise them all for their hard work in preparing for this significant milestone. Head Girl, Celeste McGinley, was thrilled to receive a conditional offer to study Law at Exeter College, Oxford:


The Oxford application process was lengthier than I expected and the support of Mr Byers, Mr Johnson and my teachers has been invaluable. Along with completion of the UCAS application form and the Law National Admissions Test, I also undertook almost a week of interviews at various colleges in Oxford last December. I am absolutely delighted with the offer but the highlight of everything has been the encouragement and well wishes shared by my peers, teachers and other staff and parents. I hope to make you all proud and I cannot wait to see what the future holds!’


Pupils at Wellington benefit from the one-to-one time they spend with the Head of Senior Years when making their university application, especially with the production of a compelling personal statement, and there is extra support for those facing interviews or bespoke entrance examinations for particular universities. Careers evenings and UCAS events are designed to help pupils with the application process meanwhile, Wellington’s varied extra-curricular programme helps candidates demonstrate a wide range of strengths and the school makes every effort to assist pupils in accessing relevant work experience.


The annual publication of SQA examination results shows that Wellington consistently outperforms other independent schools. Furthermore, in the Scottish Council for Independent Schools league table, Wellington is currently placed in the top 12 performing schools at Higher and in the top 3 at Advanced Higher. These results bear testament to the commitment and hard work of pupils and the staff who challenge them to realise their full potential.


In 2016, 49 applications to UCAS were made, with all applicants successful in receiving either a conditional or unconditional offer. Over 90% of Wellington pupils moved on to a variety of destinations, studying courses as diverse as Art, Medicine, Law, Primary Teaching and Chemical Engineering. The remaining 10% opted not to take up the offers made and, instead, have embarked on a year of travel and further work experience prior to making the move to Higher Education.